Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Measure Twice, Cut Once..or twice or more...

Have I mentioned that in capacity of superhero, I haven't exactly had to use math frequently to fight the bad guys and stand up for justice? Okay, I am mentioning this now because I am pretty sure I probably messed up on my Butterick top due to my lack of the math gene.  I haven't totally figured out where I went wrong (besides cutting the front half in half), but I came up short when I pinned the lace around the top edge.  The pattern advised I would need 1 3/8 yards of single edged lace trim.  I relied on the cutting lady at Joann's to supply me this amount.  I trust that she measured correctly.  I just cannot sort out where I went wrong to have this trim not fit all the way around the top.  If anyone has any ideas of what happened, please let me know.  I am going to try to contact someone at there a helpline there or "phone a friend?"  If I cannot reach anyone telephonically, I will have to take my pattern pieces, etc. to Joann's and request help from my sewing instructor.  Embarrassing!
If this debacle didn't quash my dream of quitting my day job for a new sewing career, my next project only added to my frustration.  Although I completed the iTouch case using the tutorial from  A Dog Named Banjo, it turned out too small for my iTouch.  I'm not sure why as I used the measurements indicated in the tutorial.  The upside is that my old iPod fits in my new case!  Have a look at the pictures.
New Case

iTouch Case iPod
Maybe I should re-read Sewing for Dummies??  Well, at least I can check this off my to-do list right?


Miranda said...

Hmmm...The only thing I can think of is maybe the neckline needed to be gathered as you sewed on the lace?

I wish I could be of more help but I have never really made clothes except for boxer shorts and a circle skirt! and I had to re sew my boxer shorts 3 times when I tried to make them because I couldn’t figure out where the legs went ( I think I sewed them upside down- how embarrassing!)
So don’t give up yet!

The I-pod cover is so cute by the way, it has been on my to-do list too for about a year- one day I will get round to making it.

Angela said...

I've done the same thing with boxer shorts Miranda! In the end, the robots on one leg were rightside up but on the other leg they were upside down!
I get what you are saying about possibly gathering the neck as it is sewn. I thought it made more sense to put the elastic in first, but this wouldn't have worked either. My sewing instructor told me the amount of lace trim indicated on the pattern is just WRONG. Yeah! I didn't make a mistake. I'm going to be finishing the top tomorrow and will post a picture.
Thanks so much for your input! Oh, if you do the iPod cover, make it a bit bigger..and pad it. I used flannel.

Miranda said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one then!
That’s great! You must be so happy and relieved. It's very annoying when the pattern is wrong. I look forward to seeing the top when it's all finished.
That’s ok :) and thankyou for the advice on the Ipod cover.