Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sergers...what the heck are they?



I've been thinking a lot about sergers today. A friend has "inherited" one and doesn't know what to do with it. She said she'll probably try to sell it, but admittedly has no idea how much it is worth or how much, generally, sergers cost. I certainly have limited - very limited - knowledge of sergers, I am not much help to her. However, I have an idea that they probably range in price from as low as $150.00 to as much as $1,000.00. I am almost certain that my friend's "new" serger is probably worth somewhere in between these prices. Why? Why are sergers so expensive? Are they worth it? To me they look very complex. I almost had to obtain a pHd to thread my basic sewing machine...how on earth do you thread a serger? Still, when you see an example of the seam they can finish, it is tempting to try one isn't it? I wonder if my friend would let me borrow her machine....maybe do some experimenting? I'll keep you posted.
Angela

4 comments:

Cyndi said...

Sergers certainly make a beautiful seam, but they are - in general - a nightmare to thread! OMG, I don't have the patience for it. You should definitely try out your friends' before thinking of getting one for yourself. One of my friends has one - and paid a lot for it - but never uses it because it's a pain in the butt to use!

Anyway, that's just my two cents and is probably not worth that much! LOL!!!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Unknown said...

Thanks for your "sense!" I'm definately going to try before I buy!

Amy said...

I love my serger! The easiest way to rethread one is to cut the existing thread up by the spools and tie the new thread onto the cut ends. Run the machine in scrap fabric till all the new color thread is through. And yes I think you should see if you can borrow your friends serger!

Unknown said...

I agree! I'm thinking about taking a serging class as well...I think they offer serger classes at Joann's. Thanks!