Friday, April 16, 2010

Flea Market Fridays!

 Spring is in the air (and 3,000 pollen count)!  This means a plethora of flea markets, thrift stores and garage sales every weekend in and around the big city!  With this in mind, and the fact that I have Fridays off from my "real" job, I have decided to check out one or two of these shopping destinations each Friday to see what great stuff I can find to use in my sewing lair.  If you think about it, you can potentially find super cheap purses that you can deconstruct and then use the hardware.  Another great find are linens.  Lots of people donate old curtains, sheets, pillow cases, etc.  Why not use them for a "new" purse, pillow cover, or jammie pants?  Come to think of it, why not use some funky fabric from vintage tea towels, curtains or even shirts for quilt patches?  Check out three pieces I found today.  I bought a skirt, a LINEN dress, and a skort for less that $10.00!  Cool huh?  What should I make?


2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Hi Angela! OMGosh, you are so much like me! I just went to the thrift store this week and bought a bunch of vintage sheets and a really cool Laura Ashley shower curtain made from a light-weight canvas with cool, colorful fish all over it. I'm going to make a couple of beach bags with it. The sheets I'll also use to make bags!

I love that second piece you got - the white backgound with the bright flowers - so cool! Whatever you make from it will be fabulous!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Angela said...

Thanks Cyndi! I've got canvas curtains I am going to make some beach bags out of! The white background with flowers is actually a skort...I really like it and it fits me! I'm thinking about keeping it as is!
Angela