Friday, December 24, 2010

Dress Up 2011...The Details


January

For everyone wishing to participate in Dress Up 2011, here are the deets:
  1. Dresses are "due" before the last two days of the challenge month. 
  2. I will be using the Mr. Linky tool.  When you are ready to show off your design, leave your name and people will be magically transported to your blog for viewing. 
  3. If you want to participate, but don't have a blog, email me and let me know.  We can still make your dresses available to show.
  4. Each dress will be "themed" around an artist or artistic movement.  I will announce the artist or movement for the next month sometime in the last two weeks of the previous month.
  5. Dresses can be made from any material(s) and can be any size you prefer. There are NO rules here, but for those interested in a "template" for a dress, there are a few examples at the end of this post.
  6. That's it.  I really want to stress that there are no rules...anything goes!  
For January's Dress, the theme is...Impressionism

Impressionism, French Impressionnisme, developed mostly in France during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Impressionist painting comprises the work produced between about 1867 and 1886 by a group of artists who shared a set of related approaches and techniques. The impressionist style of painting is characterized mostly on the general impression produced by a scene or object and the use of unmixed primary colors and small strokes to simulate actual reflected light
The principal Impressionist painters were  Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, Sisley, Morisot, Guillamin, and Bazille.  Degas and Cezanne also painted in an Impressionist style for a time in the early 1870s.  Edouard Manet adopted the Impressionist approach about 1873.
Some examples:

Woman In Black At The Opera
Mary Cassatt
Poppies, Near Argenteuil
Claude Monet
Two Dancers Entering the Stage
Edgar Degas
Pick an Impressionist or design your dress based on the Movement!  For those interested in a template, click here for an art doll template.  Or check out coloring book pages for basic dress shapes.

The Enchanted Gallery




I can't wait to see January's Dresses!

Toodles,

Angela

9 comments:

Heather said...

Merry Christmas Angela! I hope 2011 brings you much joy and happiness that a year can give you! I will be with my best friend's family so that will be fun.

Simply Debbie said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ANGELA.
I CAN'T WAIT...I RECEIVED A SEWING MACHINE FROM MY FATHER AND MOTHER FOR CHRISTMAS...I AM JUST OVER FLOWING WITH JOY...I HAVE WANTED TO TRY TO SEW FOR A LONG TIME.
WHERE DO YOU FIND THE LITTLE HANGERS AT FOR THE DRESSES AND DO YOU GLUE THEM ON TO THE HANGER.....
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Thanks for the "briefing".....oh I just love the Impressionist period....such a cool idea to use the art movements or artists.

Ana Cristina Caldatto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ana Cristina Caldatto said...

vou me informar melhor como é o prodecimento de participar,
beijos beijos e feliz 2011

Ana Cristina Caldatto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chrissy o said...

will be joining in this i just love making paper dolls, am really looking forward to getting going on the first one i have a few ideas already
hugs chrissy o xx

peggy gatto said...

Here is mine!

http://wwwpeggysamusement.blogspot.com/2011/01/january-dressimpressionism.html

Veronica said...

Oh this is such a fabulous art challenge! I am most definietly going to have to attempt your Dress Up 2011! I'll have to back peddle and start with January as I LOVE the Impressionists - my fav's! Will post a link to my dresses soon...