Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Raw Silk, A Fish, and A Decorated Planter


Look at the cool ATC I received from my Blissful ATC Swap partner, Amy of Ruby Moon Art.  The theme this month was to use either all or part of this image:


Amy's interpretation is way cool.  I love the dragonfly she made and adhered to the front.  Very nice.  Thanks Amy!  Here is the ATC I sent:


I used the entire image and transfered it to fabric using gel medium and a clear mailing label.  I ironed interfacing to the back, for stiffness, and then embellished the front with fabric markers, fabric paint, and a gold medal dragonfly after painting a layer of gloss ModPodge over the top.  I hope she likes it!

With the exception of the free motion "embroidery" I did for my March POP Dress, I haven't sewn anything since my knee surgery.  I am not happy about this!  However, I plan to get going soon as I have graduated to one crutch and sometimes no crutch in the house!  I have almost rejoined the land of the living in the last few days.  I've made it to beauty shop, Wal-Mart, and even our neighborhood pond.  Remember my list of Try Really Hard(s)?  Well, knock number 10 off the list:


Mommy went fishing with Daddy and this is the bass I caught Sunday in our pond!  My daughter netted it for me  The weather was perfect and it didn't take long to get a bite.  Fun fun!

Last week was also Spring Break.  My littlest daughter stayed home with me (not that she had much choice) and "took care of me."  I feel bad we didn't go anywhere or do much other than watch movies and play a few games...oh, and eat.  We did manage to get into the dining room and we decorated a wooden planter she got from a home show a few months ago.  We first painted it and then used some stencils to embellish, but we weren't happy with it, so we decided to decoupage it.  Charlotte ripped out different images from some magazines and we went to town.  We are both happy with how it turned out and it was really fun to do!


Ok, I promise a sewing project completed when I write my next post!  Don't forget to check out the March Dresses

Toodles!
Signature for Blog

7 comments:

stephanie said...

My mother in law has a wooden planter like that (which her 5 young grandson's all use as an "outdoor potty" when she's not looking). It's not nearly as chic! What a cool craft!!

Sherry said...

Hi Angela,

Love the ATCs - the image transferred wonderfully!

Your daughter's planter looks great, fab work by the two of you.

Hope you knee fully recovers soon - oh and I absolutely adore your blog header!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela! Love that planter and you did good! How are you doing? Thank you so much for popping in to see me. I've still been thinking about making a purse from that pattern I won in your giveaway, but I'm just too lazy! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Linda said...

Great ATC's...love the planter and I hope you are 100% soon! Take care!

Heather said...

I am so glad you are graduating to no crutches! Can't wait to see your sewing project. Only 1 month left until my sewing space is created! I love your ATCs! I have the patterns in the box, after the 3rd I will be mailing it! Sorry it is taking soooooooo long!!!!!!

CuddlyBunny said...

Your projects are gorgeous! Love the planter!

Congratulations on your first bass! Did you clean him, too? Eww. :)

Emma said...

HI Angela, Glad to hear you are on the mend and recovering well from your surgery. I like the planter, how cool!
and good that you've been out and about too, even if only a little bit!
Thanks btw, for your lovely comment! you really cheered me up!
I'm looking forward to seeing your finishedsewing project too, you always are so inspiring, one day I will get my sewing machine fixed!

Take Care,
Emma Xx