Friday, January 7, 2011

Purses and Dresses

Artful Bag Challenge
January 2011
"A Bag for the Opera"
Well, I've finished my first Artful Bag Challenge Playing with Paper purse!  I had so much fun making this bag!  I used scrapbook paper for the body of the bag and then embellished it with ribbon for the fringe, lace (above the fringe), a ribbon rose, a "pearl" for the "closure," and a string of pearls for the strap.  Oh, and I painted the "metal" at the top.  To see more bags specifically made for this challenge, click HERE to visit Anna at Frosted Petunias.  You'll be glad you did!

Woman With A Pearl Necklace at a Loge 1879
I decided to design my first purse to coordinate with my January Dress, which I based on Mary Cassatt's Woman With a Pearl Necklace at a Loge.  Cassatt, an American, was one of the premier Impressionists.  Her paintings are beautiful and many of the subjects are woman and children.  In my opinion, they are very feminine. 

Dress Up 2011
January 2011, Impressionism
"A Dress for the Opera"
For my paper dress, I used pink tissue paper, which I painted with pearlescent fabric paint, a ribbon rose, ribbon for the shoulders and lace, also painted with the pearly paint.  I also attached a pearl necklace.  The dress is sort of 3D because I pleated the tissue paper in order to give the skirt a bit of fullness. 

I can't wait until next month...for both challenges.  The Artful Bag Challenge's theme is Altered Art.  Another first for me!  I haven't decided the February artist theme for Dress Up 2011 ...any suggestions?  Who is your favorite artist?

Toodles,

Angela

29 comments:

Mrs A. said...

I love love love this purse. Pink my favourite colour too. Great design idea. I never thought of dong a elongated one. ( must store in brain for future reference)

voodoo vixen said...

Love your purse, it is stunning! Great shape and design and will go beautifully with your pretty pink dress!!

Habka said...

Beautiful painting and beautiful dress. Maybe Gustav Klimt for February?

Heather said...

love the purse and the dress! how pretty!!! Pink is one of my favorite colors!

Asas à imaginação said...

Hi!
I loved your bag...so beautiful and delicate!Your dreess is fantastic!Adore the rose color you used!
I want to suger an brazilian artist for february:Romero Brito.But I Like the sugestion of Habka...Gustav Klimt...wonderful!
Hugs,Angela!
Marlei
PS-Is my English understend?
\

Lynn Stevens said...

Your dress and purse are just precious, Looks like your ready to hit the runway!

Wendy said...

Angela your bags looks real.. I would love to have a bag like that I love the thirtys feel to it and I'm working on my dress..thank you for hosting this fun challenge Hugs wendy

Createology said...

My dear you have a lovely complete outfit ready for a night at the opera. Love them both! Happy creating...

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Love your purse - it's beautiful!
Thanks for playing along in my giveaway. Good luck!
Have a wonderful weekend.
XO Marie

Ana Cristina Caldatto said...

uauuu Lindo vestido rosa
perfeito combinação com a Bolsa!
e já
estou na expectativa de fevereiro!
beijinhos

Jaluza Scrap said...

I'm thrilled to participate.
Thank you for the opportunity.
You are very dear.

Unknown said...

Love the purse.
Thanks for sharing
Michele

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh Angela,
I love your purse!!! It's gorgeous!!!!
XO

Petunia said...

Angela, I love love love your opera bag! And it's pink!! Love the delicate vintage look with the fringe at the bottom, and the pearls for the handle is perfect with the beautiful Mary Cassatt dress. The soft rose is so pretty. I'm so glad you're doing the art theme for the dresses. Can't wait to see who you will pick for next month. Thank you for sharing and for playing along. :)

♥Anna

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR ANGELA,
THANK YOU FOR HOSTING DRESS UP 2011.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOUR STUNNING OPERA BAG. IT IS GORGEOUS. AWESOME JOB...AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL DRESS GOES RIGHT ALONG WITH IT. SUCH A SWEET DRESS AND A HISTORICAL DRESS. I LOVE THE SHADE OF PINK.
I POSTED MY DRESS BUT I HAD A LOT OF TROUBLE SO I HOPE IT WORKS.
HAVE A SUGAR SWEET DAY
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

JoAnne said...

Hi Angela,
What a wonderful purse and very sweet dress too.
Happy New Year!
xoJoAnne

Pellie / Penny said...

Your purse as well as your dress are beautiful.

Hugs,
Penny

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Wonderful dress - and gorgeous bag, as well!

Jeanie Callaghan said...

It's gorgeous! And it goes so well with the dress.

Linda said...

What a beautiful job you have done on this bag. Such a lovely bag to take along with you to the Opera. thank you for sharing.

Holly said...

I love your purse and the coordinating dress!

BelleSouth said...

My, my, my! This is soooo GORGEOUS!!! Nicely done!!!

Rebecca

Unknown said...

I love your handbag and it would go so well with the flapper costume I made for Halloween one year, which I still have. What fun. I also adore your dress. I'm still working on mine.

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

Stunning Opera bag love how you added the lace fringe wonderful colors.

Sinderella's Studio said...

Awesome duo!!!
cheers, dana

Selma said...

Your dress is so fantastic and your purse so beautiful. I like both of them.

Rosemary said...

Oh my, I love your challenge and YOUR dress is superb! It is so beautiful and feminine. I keep wanting to shrink down, sneak over to everyone's studio and wear these dresses - they are so lovely! This is a wonderful way to work the imagination!

Sandy Ang said...

Such an elegant and charming bag. Love your delicate handle and that floral print. It matches your little dress so well too.

Rosemary said...

Yes, THAT is the perfect bag to accompany a beautiful dress! This is lovely with all the wonderful color and elegant touches.